Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Internet research is a wicked, wicked rabbit hole

Research is a strange thing, especially research for a play. And especially research for this particular play. Today alone, I watched video of Spock's death scene and funeral, and did fact searches on the price of cat cloning ($50,000), Klingon weaponry, quantum resurrection, and how much of our DNA we share with chimpanzees (98.5%) and with lettuce (40%). And, for a while, I was led down the wicked, wicked rabbit hole that is Internet research, following a story that involved dog clones, double identities and Mormon sex slaves. But I recovered, eventually.


When I find a tantalizing tidbit, I write it on a sticky note. The notes go on my kitchen wall, which quickly starts to look like it has a skin condition. A friend once asked, "But what do you write on the sticky notes?" I had no very good answer, but here are a couple of them.

"Intergalactic Ass Hound"
A pithy description of Captain Kirk





"Orion Slave Girl" Need I say more?






Finally, this sticky note reads, "Every time you look in the sky, you know there's something else out there, and that means you're not alone. That means there's hope." Not sure yet, but those might be the last words of the play.


1 comment:

  1. "Spock are you out of your Vulcan mind?! Do you know how long I worked on this?" Bones - Star Trek

    ReplyDelete