Tuesday, August 18, 2009

a marketable title


So, more about about the play's title, which SJ still hates. Neil Genzlinger, in his NY Times Arts Beat Blog, writes "the best way to get people into your show is to put the word 'Naked' in your title, whether or not anyone is naked, or at least strongly imply in your show description that nakedness is available." He goes on to say that "pop culture references... are always good" and "people love animals."

Now, I generally loathe theatre that's clearly designed with marketing in mind, because it usually sucks. However, I've realized that the play I'm writing has all of the easily marketable elements. The pop culture reference, obviously, is Star Trek and the Trekkies. A cat plays a pivotal role in the plot (but more about that later). And I've even just written a sex scene (of sorts).

Hmm.

Maybe I should retitle the play after all. Maybe I should call it "Naked Trekkies. With Kittens."

No comments:

Post a Comment